First step, the collar- I took some white Kona cotton, cut a strip that was wider and longer than my collar pieced. I set up my machine with foot 46c... the decorative pin tuck foot. and started to play
Pintucks I sewed in white, then I put some pink Aurifil thread on my machine and added some decorative stitches between the pintucks. Here is the best part, you leave the pin tuck foot on your machine, lining up the two pin tucks with the grooves in the foot, your stitching is perfectly straight and centered down the space. I also discovered that 3/8" ribbon fits perfectly between the pin tucks.
So then I got out foot 30. which is one of the pin tuck feet. I reached for my favorite book, the Big Book of Feet and did some research on what to do with this foot.
This is the best book, it has sections on each foot made for your BERNINA machine, with lots of suggestions about what to do with that foot. I found a picture of crosshatching done with pin tucks.
Again, I cut a strip, wider and longer than the front yoke piece of the dress, I marked two 45 degree lines with a disappearing marker, added the guide to my foot and stitched pin tucks one inch apart on a diagonal line.
Wouldn't that look beautiful on a clutch purse, or a zippered pouch?
I went to the page in my big book of feet for the decorative pin tuck foot and found a section on using a wing needle.
A wing needle is a needle that makes holes in your fabric, as part of the stitch. The book told me which stitches look best with it, so I chose stitch 711 on my machine,
I sewed two pin tucks first, then put my wing needle on my machine and stitched...
This will be the sleeve. Just two little rows of pin tucks and stitches down the center of the sleeve.
Does this take time, yes. Is it worth it, yes.
Hopefully this will be a special dress for someone one day.
I learned a lot while I was making it and that was my goal.
Adding a little bit of these techniques will make your projects look professional.
Stay tuned.... I'll post the finished project soon